Dr. Garth Gibson presented this tutorial on RAID at SIGMOD95 and ISCA95. The HTML presentation here contains 74 slides total. You can progress through them one at a time or use the following outline to go to sections that interest you.
The tutorial is also available in pdf format.
- RAID basics: striping RAID levels, controllers
- Recent advances in disk technology
- Expanding RAID markets
- RAID reliability: high and higher
- RAID performance: fast recovery, small writes
- Exploiting disk parallelism: deep prefetching
- RAID over the network