AFFILIATES & SPONSORS
The Parallel Data Lab interacts closely with many companies, research projects (at CMU and elsewhere), and government agencies interested in faster, cheaper, more secure, more robust, more manageable, and more usable storage systems. In particular, member companies of the PDL Consortium spend quality time with us to help guide our research and transfer our technologies to their products. Most of our research funding comes from federal sources.
We have a lot of friends in the storage and infrastructure industry who provide us with advice, equipment, and funding for our research activities. In addition to informal visits and e-mail, we invite technical people from member companies toboth our annual 3-day PDL Retreat and our 1-day on-campus PDL Visit Day, which consist of an intense exchange of information and ideas in fun, interactive surroundings. Of course, we're always happy to make new friends, particularly those who will actively participate in the PDL Retreat and other exchanges.
For more information about participating as a member in the PDL Consortium, please contact , PDL Executive Director, by email, by telephone at (412) 268-5485 or by FAX at (412) 268-3010.
These are the currently active industry members of our consortium:
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- Hitachi, Ltd.
- IBM Research
- Intel Corporation
- Microsoft Research
- NetApp, Inc.
- Oracle Corporation
- Pure Storage
- Samsung Semiconductor Inc.
- Seagate Technology
- Two Sigma
- Western Digital
We collaborate and are involved with a number of other organizations, with the collective goals of solving grand challenges and advancing the state of the field through standardization.
- Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Working Group on Parallel NFS (pNFS)
- The Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA)
Based Storage Device (OBSD) Working Group
- Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Working Group on SCSI-over-IP
- Scalable I/O Initiative (SIO) based at Caltech (some specifics on the PDL's involvement.)
- The NASD Working Group for the National Storage Industry Corporation (NSIC)
Much of our research funding comes from several U.S. government agencies, which have included:.
- The Army Research Office
- The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
- The Air Force Office of Sponsored Research (AFOSR)
- The National Science Foundation (NSF)
- The Dept of Energy, Office of Science
- The Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) funds our work in the Institute for Reliable High Performance Information Technology (IRHPIT) via their Information Science and Technology Institute (ISTI) in the LANL Institutes Office.