Industry Job Opportunity
systems research @ google (srg)
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Seattle, WA, USA; Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Systems Research Engineer, Technical Infrastructure, Google Cloud
Systems Research @ Google (SRG) is looking to hire new PhDs in Computer Science or Computer Engineering with research experience in broad areas of computer systems, including distributed systems, operating systems, networks, hardware architecture, data management, data analytics, and ML for Systems.
About the Job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
SystemsResearch@Google (SRG) is positioned in the heart of Google's cloud and infrastructure engineering organization, with the mission of inventing, incubating, and infusing new concepts, designs, and technologies into Google’s applications, systems, and data centers of the future. The team’s position will allow tight interaction with engineering groups and the ability to interact seamlessly with those groups. Outside of Google, we look forward to strong relationships with external research communities working on the most pressing systems research problems.
Google Cloud provides organizations with leading infrastructure, platform capabilities and industry solutions. We deliver enterprise-grade cloud solutions that leverage Google’s cutting-edge technology to help companies operate more efficiently and adapt to changing needs, giving customers a foundation for the future. Customers in more than 150 countries turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to solve their most critical business problems.
- PhD degree in Computer Science or similar or equivalent experience.
- Record of publication in conferences or journals in the systems field.
- Programming experience in C++, C, Java, or other systems languages.
- Experience with computer systems in one or more areas such as operating systems, storage systems, reliability, architecture, networks and/or distributed systems, etc.
- Experience with the following systems: systems, memory, network, novel I/O, or platform architectures, including persistent memory (“NVRAM”), accelerators and other emerging technologies.
- Industrial experience through work or internships.
- Experience designing and implementing a complex or experimental system.
- Experience in the analysis of design alternatives and trade-offs.
- Demonstrated project management skills (end-to-end).
- Ability to recognize research opportunities and define and carry out a research agenda, from problem definition to final results.
- Participate in team projects to carry out system design, analysis, and building of prototypes to demonstrate advantages and reveal challenges of these technologies for a broad range of applications in the data center and cloud environments.
Formed in 2021, SRG was created at the heart of Google’s engineering organization and is responsible for the hardware and software infrastructure that drives Google Cloud and Google’s multiple billion-client Web services. Our mission is to shape the future of hyperscalar systems design for Google and its ecosystem by inventing, incubating, and infusing new concepts, designs, and technologies. The team is co-led by David Culler, former Chair of EECS at UC Berkeley, and Hank Levy, former Director of the Paul G. Allen School at University of Washington. Within SRG, we are bringing together leading systems thinkers from around the world and inside Google. Current technical leads include highly experienced industrial researchers, such as Kim Keeton, Fatma Özcan, and Amy Tai, and a set of talented academics currently on leave with us at Google, such as Sylvia Ratnasamy, Arvind Krishnamurthy, Samira Khan, and Shobha Vasudevan. SRG is hiring in Google’s Bay Area and Seattle facilities. More information.
Key Focus Areas:
- Distributed Systems
- Operating Systems
- Hardware Architecture
- Data Management
- Data Analytics
- ML for Systems
How to Apply
Please find job listing and apply here.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Google, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.