    RE: iSCSI Naming: WWUIs, URNs, and namespaces

    Marj,

    > How does this relate to URLs?  Does this mean we can't specify a URL
    format
    > for iSCSI resources?  Can you provide the logic behind the IESG
    pronouncing
    > that the IESG won't approve another global namespace?

    Use of URLs is fine (existing namespace), as is use of URL format.  The word
    "global" has a number of meanings - in this context it has to do with scope
    and context, namely globally unique identifiers for anything on the globe
    that
    needs a unique identifier.  While it may not have been the intention to do
    so, the WWUI approach leads to a new global naming framework.  The
    IESG is saying "NO" to that sort of general framework in no uncertain terms
    and asking the WG to focus on the storage naming problems we need to
    solve and not go about defining a framework that is extensible to solve a
    whole batch of other unrelated problems.

    At the next level down, there are three sorts
    of issues floating in here:
    - Semantics: Unique identifiers, global scope,
    	not tied to communication endpoints.
    - Syntax: How those identifiers are represented
    	in messages and related issues of control
    	over use and extension of that representation
    	the resulting suggestions/implications for
    	its use.
    To a first approximation, the above list is in
    the order of importance to iSCSI (Semantics is
    most important) and in REVERSE order of importance
    to the IESG/IAB issues I've raised (i.e., the
    biggest issues are with the Description, believe
    it or not :-)).

    Let me know if I need to explain more,

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500