    RE: iSCSI Naming: WWUIs, URNs, and namespaces

    > At the next level down, there are three sorts
    > of issues floating in here:
    > - Semantics: Unique identifiers, global scope,
    > 	not tied to communication endpoints.
    > - Syntax: How those identifiers are represented
    > 	in messages and related issues of control
    > 	over use and extension of that representation
    > 	the resulting suggestions/implications for
    > 	its use.
    > To a first approximation, the above list is in
    > the order of importance to iSCSI (Semantics is
    > most important) and in REVERSE order of importance
    > to the IESG/IAB issues I've raised (i.e., the
    > biggest issues are with the Description, believe
    > it or not :-)).

    I think I'm agreeing with the IESG then.  It appears that the N&D team has
    somehow decided that globally unique identifiers are necessary and of
    primary importance.  That doesn't make sense to me.  I think we should be
    focusing on defining a URL format for iSCSI resources.  The host name
    provides the level of uniqueness necessary to allow iSCSI to ensure further
    uniqueness within that host.  I'm waiting to hear justification from the N&D
    team regarding their focus???

    Marjorie Krueger
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Networked Storage Solutions Org.