    RE: iSCSI:flow control, acknowledgement, and a deterministic recovery

    David,

    A limitation in the number of tasks for each or all targets would be a
    control method or as a type of Xon/Xoff as with SEP, but not an iSCSI one as
    it is now.  Santosh said all commands could use a null CmdSN in his first
    statement.  Perhaps iSCSI should explicitly exclude this use.  This does
    imply there is no acknowledgements, no flow control, and no sequential
    delivery within iSCSI.

    I pointed out in the second paragraph there is still a need to ensure timely
    delivery or NO delivery.  That is not a property of IP.  With multiple
    connections, if you are not going to use a valid CmdSN, or in his case a
    null CmdSN for all commands, then there would be a requirement to include a
    timestamp to meet a timely delivery requirement in the same manner as used
    in the FC encapsulation.  He had made it clear he was not concerned about
    sequential delivery and perhaps I made the rather absurd but valid point as
    a result.

    You have now offered the possibility of different flow control schemes.  I
    started this effort to offer a solution for the existing scheme.  The flora
    gets thick in this area it would appear.

    Doug