    Re: iSCSI: session login and ISID

    Pierre, et.al.
    There should be no reason that a specific OS, can not have multiple session
    to the same Target, as long as the ISID is different.  It is up to the
    installation/vendor to determine how to arrive at ISID.  They can also
    determine that they want each iSCSI HBA to have a different ISID, and
    arrive at unique ISIDs for each.  Then, as we talked, months and months
    ago, it is then up to a Wedge Driver to sort out who get what requests, and
    attempts to do load balancing.

    The wedge driver is needed to make sure that the application does not have
    to care which Session it is connected too, since they have no way to
    specify it anyhow.  That is, the wedge driver needs to insure that it sends
    no I/O to a LU on a specific session if it has sent previous I/O to that
    same LU, on a different session, and still has its I/O outstanding.
    Otherwise, out of order things will happen.  But this is a fairly easy
    thing to handle in the  Wedge Driver.  There are some issues with
    Persistence Reserve, but those can be handled also, by sending LU's I/O to
    the Reserved LUs only on the same Session, on which the Reserve was issued.

    Remember, it is only the multiple connections per session model that does
    not require the Wedge Driver in order handle multiple connections.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    Pierre Labat <pierre_labat@hp.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 04/10/2001 08:12:22 AM

    Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu