    RE: iSCSI:flow control, acknowledgement, and a deterministic recovery

    > > Immediate commands are "out of sequence" by definition - immediate
    > > means deliver immediately without regard to CmdSN order.  Only the
    > > target can do this, so I don't see any problem with relying on the
    Target
    > > to do so.
    >
    > The commands that are NOW out of sequence are those commands bypassed by
    the
    > immediate command.  If this immediate command was Rewind, then a long list
    > of write commands become invalid as a new tape is now needed for those
    > operations.  You are expecting that the target to handle a long list of
    > invalid commands made possible by the iSCSI sequencer.  Commands
    invalidated
    > by immediate commands become out of sequence commands.

    And I still don't see a problem here.  Tapes have to have logic
    to deal with a write issued when no tape is loaded - this situation
    is yet another way to invoke that logic.  The target was asked
    to execute the Rewind immediately, did so, and now processes the
    writes in its new state of not having a tape loaded (presumably,
    they all result in check conditions).  Even if we do something
    clever in the iSCSI "sequencer", the same behavior can result if
    the write commands have been delivered to SCSI and queued in SCSI.
    I don't see the point of adding a new way (iSCSI rejects vs. SCSI
    check conditions) for what's essentially the same set of errors
    (tape was rewound, therefore can't be written) to manifest themselves.

    If the Initiator didn't want this
    behavior, it should have done something else, such as not
    using immediate delivery for the Rewind, or sending
    some suitable Task or Task Set Aborts.

    > I'll reserve further comment until Julian has made some progress in
    > addressing these concerns.  I also suspect it is a mistake to allow
    commands
    > to remain trapped within the sequencer during emergency or abnormal events
    > signified by the use of these immediate commands.

    Resetting the sequencer probably involves a Lun or Target
    Reset, which may be necessary in any case to clean up
    from these sort of emergency or abnormal events.  Keep
    in mind that SCSI Task Management is inherently
    non-deterministic, and so asking for completely predictable
    behavior in these sort of circumstances is just plain
    unreasonable.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500