    Re: iSCSI: Login Redirect

    Hi - If you are using redirect to implement fault tolerance/load
    balancing as we sketched out in
    draft-gilligan-iscsi-fault-tolerance-00.txt, there may be transients
    when an initiator gets  redirected multiple times.  For example, say A
    redirects the initiator to B.  But say B has more recent information
    about the actual location of the target, so it redirects the initiator
    to C.  Eventually A learns the same information as B and then redirects
    initiators directly to C.  So the initiator should be prepared to accept
    some number of consecutive redirects.

    Of course, if the redirection goes on indefinitely or loops - say A
    redirects to B, which redirects to C, which redirects to A, etc. - that
    probably does represent either a configuration error or a bug.  So the
    initiator may wish to detect a redirection loop or an excessive number
    of  redirections.

    But, as you point out, what represents "excessive redirection" is in the
    eye of the initiator.  So, I don't think that the main iSCSI spec needs
    to call out a specific hard limit.

    Bob.

Last updated: Tue Aug 05 12:46:12 2003
12771 messages in chronological order