    Re: iSCSI: Login Redirect

    On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, gilligan@intransa.com wrote:

    >Hi - If you are using redirect to implement fault
    >tolerance/load balancing as we sketched out in
    >draft-gilligan-iscsi-fault-tolerance-00.txt, there may be
    >transients when an initiator gets  redirected multiple times.
    >For example, say A redirects the initiator to B.  But say B has
    >more recent information about the actual location of the
    >target, so it redirects the initiator to C.  Eventually A
    >learns the same information as B and then redirects initiators
    >directly to C.  So the initiator should be prepared to accept
    >some number of consecutive redirects.
    >
    >Of course, if the redirection goes on indefinitely or loops - say A
    >redirects to B, which redirects to C, which redirects to A, etc. - that
    >probably does represent either a configuration error or a bug.  So the
    >initiator may wish to detect a redirection loop or an excessive number
    >of  redirections.
    >
    >But, as you point out, what represents "excessive redirection"
    >is in the eye of the initiator.  So, I don't think that the
    >main iSCSI spec needs to call out a specific hard limit.

    In order to cover the type of fault-tolerance scenario you cited
    wouldn't it make sense to set a minimum that the initiator SHOULD
    be willing to accept?

    That way cluster builders would have a base that they could assume
    would not result in iniator failures (only delays).

Last updated: Tue Aug 05 12:46:12 2003
12771 messages in chronological order