    RE: iSCSI: Last call issues for the Naming and Discovery document

    > This doesn't seem consistent with the iSCSI
    > (draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-16) use of "address". I can't find
    > anywhere where it calls the address the iSCSI name plus a
    > transport address. For example, in 11.8, it defines target address as:
    >
    > TargetAddress=domainname[:port][,portal-group-tag]
    >
    > This doesn't include iSCSI name and it does include
    > portal-group-tag which isn't mentioned in the Naming and
    > Discovery document. To harmonize the two documents, iSCSI
    > address should not include the iSCSI name and the option for
    > portal-group-tag should be added to Naming and Discovery.

    The iSCSI protocol document is not defining the concept of an iSCSI address,
    it's specifying the format of a key value pair.  The N&D doc is purely an
    informative discussion of concepts.  I don't see any problem with speaking
    of an iSCSI address as both the iSCSI name and IP address, since you can't
    address a target without knowing it's iSCSI name.

    > Also, the use of Address in the iSCSI draft is asymmetrical.
    > The iSCSI draft only applies the structure of address,
    > <domain-name>[:<port>], to target addresses. Initiator
    > address is generally not mentioned. While the iSCSI protocol
    > doesn't explicitly use initiator addresses, they may be
    > useful for other things such as management interfaces so a
    > target can report address along with who is connected. The
    > Naming and Discovery document should at least explain the
    > difference between the asymmetry in the use of address in
    > iSCSI and the symmetry in Naming and Discovery. One might
    > also mention that a target will be only able to report the
    > address of a connected initiator in one of the IP formats
    > because it doesn't ever receive a DNS based name.

    A target could perform reverse lookup on an address, just as the initiator
    would have to do a name lookup to find the target's IP address if it had a
    host name.

    Marj

Last updated: Wed Sep 11 19:19:02 2002
11820 messages in chronological order