    RE: iSCSI Boot Last Call - Technical Comments

    Assuming that the requirement for all 16 bits to be present is not changed, the current text is logically contradictory. "...all 16 nibbles must be present. If the LUN field is blank,..." If the LUN field is blank all 16 nibbles are not present. I suggest "...upper case. If the LUN field is not blank, all 16 nibbles must be present."

    Pat
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Mark Bakke [mailto:mbakke@cisco.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 6:49 AM
    To: Prasenjit Sarkar; Duncan Missimer; Costa Sapuntzakis; Elizabeth
    Rodriguez; David Black; John Hufferd; IPS
    Subject: iSCSI Boot Last Call - Technical Comments

    I have only a few technical comments on the boot draft.  The editorials
    have been sent to the authors.  The draft looks good!

    Page 4

    >    The "LUN" field is a hexadecimal representation of the 8-byte LU
    >    number.  Digits above 9 may be either lower or upper case, and all 16
    >    nibbles must be present. If the LUN field is blank, then LUN 0 is
    >    assumed.

    Since most LUNs are just 16 bits (and many of these are even smaller),
    I'd like to relax this a bit.  Typing 14 or 15 zeroes plus the actual
    LUN value into a field in the DHCP GUI is quite error-prone, since in
    a DHCP server's user interface or /etc/dhcpd.conf, this string will be
    entered directly by the end user.

    So in addition to the rules above, how about:

    - If the LUN field contains four or fewer hex digits, these digits
      constitute the LUN number from which to boot.

    Page 5

    >    It is possible that the port number obtained from the Discovery
    >    Service may conflict with the one obtained from the DHCP service. In
    >    such a case, the implementor has the option to try both port numbers
    >    in the Boot stage.

    In this case, I think that we should pick one to take precedence, instead
    of leaving it up to the implementor.  Since the discovery service should
    have the most up-to-date IP address and port number information, I think
    that it should be the one that is used.

    --
    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems