    RE: iSCSI: Last call issues for the Naming and Discovery document

    >> The third paragraph of 1 has the following text: "An iSCSI
    >> node name is also the SCSI device name of an iSCSI device.
    >> The iSCSI name of a SCSI device...." The first sentence says
    >> the iSCSI node name and SCSI device name are the same but the
    >> next sentence uses a different term: iSCSI name which is used
    >> through much of the remainder of the document. (There only
    >> seems to be one later use of iSCSI node name.) Please state
    >> whether iSCSI name the same as iSCSI node name. Also, why
    >> does the first sentence use "iSCSI device" but the second
    >> sentence use "SCSI device"? It seems that both should use
    >> "iSCSI device"
    >

    > OK; I'll clarify that:
    >
    > - An iSCSI node name and iSCSI name are one and the same
    > (perhaps I'll omit
    >   iSCSI node name as a term, and define that an iSCSI name is
    > the unique identifier for an iSCSI node.
    >
    > - The whole SCSI device name thing is a link to T10 stuff.
    > Jim and Marjorie, any ideas on how to make this more clear?

    I admit I don't find any of the quoted text confusing.  The main draft uses
    the same mixture of terms, and the paragraphs that preceed and follow this
    paragraph further define and clarify the usage of terms.  I think the
    current text is sufficient.  Perhaps you can add a pointer to the sections
    in the main draft that you are paraphrasing here?

    As to Pat's comment that "iSCSI device" should be used where "SCSI device"
    is used, I disagree.  SCSI get's it's device name from the transport, and
    this sentence is pointing out that the SCSI device name is derived from the
    iSCSI name.  Perhaps if you change the following sentence:

    "The iSCSI name of a SCSI device is the principal object used in
    authentication of targets to initiators and initiators to targets."

    "The iSCSI name is the principal object used in authentication of targets to
    initiators and initiators to targets."

    removing the reference to the "SCSI device"ness to avoid overloading this
    sentence?

    Cheers,
    Marj

Last updated: Wed Sep 11 20:19:01 2002