    Re: FCEncap Last Call Comment 40

    Ralph,

    Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should be.

    I am assuming in my comments that the transit time is computed in the FCencap
    code.

    > > - A larger time stamp indicates a problem with the synchronization (with
    > >    one exception, see next bullet).  It implies to me that R_A_TOV may be
    > >    incorrectly applied (the delta between the two bases is either added/subtracted)
    > >    in the traversal of the FCIP Link/iFCP fabric.  The frame should be
    > >    dropped in this case.  It would even be desirable to somehow resync
    > >    the timebases.

    I guess I am suggesting that the FCencap code when it detects a case of
    bad sync, should inform that to the encapsulating protocol along with the frame.
    I expect that the encapsulating protocols would drop the frame in this case.
    In addition, I am suggesting that they ideally should also specify a forced resync.

    > > - The only legitimate case of time stamp being larger than the receiver's
    > >    timebase is that of a wraparound.  The frame should not be dropped
    > >    in this case.

    The FCencap text should state more than the "absolute difference" since an
    absolute difference value figured by the FCencap code in the wraparound
    case and passed on to the encapsulating protocol code would almost guarantee
    that the frame will be discarded there - so I was implying a "wraparound-sensitive"
    transit time computation.

    Code running in a device should be able to detect when its timebase wraps
    around, I do not see any issue there....it would need to apply that wraparound
    context to all the frames received with larger time stamp value than the local
    timebase and then discard the context.

    Someone may say that the "bad sync" scenario is too hypothetical, but
    I hope the above clarifies my concern in this regard anyway.

    Thanks.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka