    Re: FCEncap Last Call Comment 40

    Mallikarjun,

    You appear to be saying that the current FC Frame
    Encapsulation text is correct. If that is true,
    then I have no problems with keeping the current
    text without changes.

    You may be saying that the current text is
    correct in some situations and wrong in others.
    Since I cannot see how the situations are
    distinguished by code running in a device,
    I would prefer to keep the current (more
    conservative) text.

    Thanks.

    Ralph...

    "Mallikarjun C." wrote:

    > Ralph,
    >
    > Comments below.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Mallikarjun
    >
    > Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    > Networked Storage Architecture
    > Network Storage Solutions Organization
    > Hewlett-Packard MS 5668
    > Roseville CA 95747
    > cbm@rose.hp.com
    >
    > > Comment 40 Technical
    > >
    > >    - Section 4, page 9, Synchronized state rules. I think this should
    > >      also address what is to be done in case there's a case of "bad
    > >      synchronization" when Time Stamp words are valid. For ex., when the
    > >      received value is smaller than the received entity's timebase, I
    > >      assume it would result in arriving at a huge transit time. While
    > >      the huge transit time may cause the frame to be discarded, it isn't
    > >      clear to me what may cause the TCP connection drop and a re-synch.
    > >
    > >    Accepted with the following results
    > >
    > >    Change the recommended transit time evaluation to use the absolute
    > >    value of the time difference.
    >
    > Okay, I guess the policy to apply when a frame takes too long to transit
    > is left to encapsulating protocols to specify.  A couple of comments in this
    > regard, noting that it's probably not for FCEncap to act on.
    >
    > - A larger time stamp indicates a problem with the synchronization (with
    >    one exception, see next bullet).  It implies to me that R_A_TOV may be
    >    incorrectly applied (the delta between the two bases is either added/subtracted)
    >    in the traversal of the FCIP Link/iFCP fabric.  The frame should be
    >    dropped in this case.  It would even be desirable to somehow resync
    >    the timebases.
    >
    > - The only legitimate case of time stamp being larger than the receiver's
    >    timebase is that of a wraparound.  The frame should not be dropped
    >    in this case.

Last updated: Wed Apr 03 20:18:24 2002
9472 messages in chronological order