    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions Organization
    Hewlett-Packard MS 5668
    Roseville CA 95747
    cbm@rose.hp.com

    > Comment 40 Technical
    >
    >    - Section 4, page 9, Synchronized state rules. I think this should
    >      also address what is to be done in case there's a case of "bad
    >      synchronization" when Time Stamp words are valid. For ex., when the
    >      received value is smaller than the received entity's timebase, I
    >      assume it would result in arriving at a huge transit time. While
    >      the huge transit time may cause the frame to be discarded, it isn't
    >      clear to me what may cause the TCP connection drop and a re-synch.
    >
    >    Accepted with the following results
    >
    >    Change the recommended transit time evaluation to use the absolute
    >    value of the time difference.

    Okay, I guess the policy to apply when a frame takes too long to transit
    is left to encapsulating protocols to specify.  A couple of comments in this
    regard, noting that it's probably not for FCEncap to act on.

    - A larger time stamp indicates a problem with the synchronization (with
       one exception, see next bullet).  It implies to me that R_A_TOV may be
       incorrectly applied (the delta between the two bases is either added/subtracted)
       in the traversal of the FCIP Link/iFCP fabric.  The frame should be
       dropped in this case.  It would even be desirable to somehow resync
       the timebases.

    - The only legitimate case of time stamp being larger than the receiver's
       timebase is that of a wraparound.  The frame should not be dropped
       in this case.

Last updated: Wed Apr 03 17:18:17 2002
9463 messages in chronological order