    Re: iSCSI:SRP

    The problem that you will run into is that since DH-CHAP is new, the IPR
    issues are unknowable.  Companies that are not here (or even parts of
    companies that aren't known to the people here) may have patents/pending
    patents in the area of DH-CHAP that we know NOTHING about...

    This is the problem with using cutting edge technology, you can not know
    what patents are pending until they are issued in 3-5 years (sometimes
    even longer) and then you are faced with a submarine patent...

    I would be very comfortable saying just do CHAP over an encrypted link, so
    you don't have the vulnerabilities of CHAP because the link is protected
    by a must implement IPsec layer...

    Bill
    On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 07:04:26PM -0500, Black_David@emc.com wrote:
    > > To answer David's question 2 about SRP and DH+Chap: SRP is superior
    > because
    > > it is done. The objection to it was based on an IPR uncertainty that has
    > > been resolved.
    >
    > Sorry - that IPR uncertainty is not resolved by a long shot.  We are now
    > in a situation where SRP is considered potentially encumbered in the absence
    > of "no license needed" or offers of Stanford-like licenses from Lucent and
    > Phoenix, and I don't view those as realistic possibilities.  That is what
    > I meant by not being able to turn back the clock.  We have to do the
    > DH-CHAP analysis.
    >
    > --David
    > David L. Black, Senior Technologist
    > EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    > +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    > black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Wed Apr 03 21:18:18 2002
9473 messages in chronological order