    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Ralph Weber
    Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 7:55 PM
    To: Mallikarjun C.
    Cc: IPS Reflector
    Subject: Re: FCEncap Last Call Comment 39

    Mallikarjun,

    Because FCIP is in one form or another (and there are at
    least two forms) a connection between two FC Switches and
    because FC Switches exchange Class F frames frequently,
    it is not possible to "bar" Unsynchronized operation
    using exactly those words.

    The requirement stated in FC-BB-2 is that the receiver
    shall discard all non Class F frames received while in
    the Unsynchronized state (or words that have the same
    effect). This is equivalent to assuming that R_A_TOV
    is not met for non Class F frames whenever it cannot
    be proved that R_A_TOV has been met.

    I believe that this is sufficient to allow to to sleep
    tonight.

    Thanks.

    Ralph...

    "Mallikarjun C." wrote:

    > Ralph,
    >
    > Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know about Class F
    > frames.
    >
    > Now that I am aware of Class F frames, I am interested in knowing
    > if the authors considered barring Unsynchronized operation with the
    > exception of Class F frames (or perhaps "in all cases where the R_A_TOV
    > expectaction is not imposed by FC-FS").
    >
    > I guess it still bothers me that the wording is not restrictive enough to
    > rule out surprise class 2/3 frames that should have long gone....

Last updated: Tue Apr 02 14:18:25 2002
9432 messages in chronological order