    Re: iscsi: CRN support not required. [was :Re: [Fwd: iSCSI: itemsdiscussed at WG meeting]]

    Robert Grant wrote:

    > If you accept that making FC and iSCSI work well is not just the work of the
    > fabric devices (dare I call them "boxes in the middle"?) then where is the
    > best place to deal with the CRN mode pages? Does having the bridge deal with
    > this make sense?

    A bridge will have to intercept, interpret and map protocol specific
    mode pages from 1 protocol domain to another. The simple reason for this
    being that the protocol specific mode page content differs based on the
    protocol and hence, the bridge will need to build its own protocol
    specific mode page and perform a mode sense/select with the back-end
    device.

    > It strikes me that CRN is a function between the initiator
    > and target and as such is best left (as near as can be obtained) as
    > negotiated between the two. So Dave's suggestion of iSCSI mode pages makes
    > the most sense to me.

    To be more precise, SAM-2 defines CRN as being originated by the
    application client and destined to the device server. Hence, the
    conclusion one draws from this is that the CRN should belong to the SCSI
    ULP peer layers. While it is true that FCP-2 has not maintained that
    layering, it would be good to attempt to fix that and move all CRN text
    to SAM-3 and negotiate CRN in a protocol independent mode page.

    > Also - and this is as much a question as a statement because I honestly
    > don't know - but are there other aspects of mode pages where having iSCSI
    > mode pages is the best answer?

    Mode pages have a number of issues with respect to the scope of the mode
    page implementation at the target (shared mode page implementations are
    the common implementation, leading to mode page war situations when
    multiple initiators [say, different drivers], attempt to set different
    mode page values). In addition, mode page negotiations result in
    parameter rounding situations and it is quite cumbersome/inefficient for
    the initiator to then detect what the mode page value was set to.

    It is time we looked at more modern ways of negotiating scsi transport
    specific parameters than mode pages.

    > For example, will the use of confirmed
    > completions never make sense in an iSCSI environment? If there's ever a use
    > for confirmed completions, then the setting of the equivalent to REC_TOV in
    > an iSCSI mode page might make sense, too.

    iscsi already defines the concept of command retry, task re-assign, data
    sequence numbers, status sequence numbers and target originated NOP-IN
    to solicit an ExpStatSN update. All of these result in more powerful
    recovery schemes than the ones being referred from the FCP-2 protocol.

    --
    Santosh Rao

Last updated: Tue Apr 02 16:18:25 2002
9433 messages in chronological order