    RE: iscsi: CRN support not required. [was :Re: [Fwd: iSCSI: items discussed at WG meeting]]

    Whether modepages are an addition or not depends on your perspective. If you
    view the "network" as beginning and ending with IP, then modepages are an
    addition. I believe this is the view that led to the previous consensus
    around iSCSI supporting CRN but not needing to have modepages to communicate
    that.

    If you view the "network" (or perhaps the "fabric"?) as an interconnection
    of end nodes (or initiators and targets) - and that those endnodes may be
    FCP or FCP-2 devices - then modepages are already there in some endnodes.
    This is a stretch hypothesis and falls down in some places (I see no reason
    for iSCSI initiators to deal with truly transport-specific parts of the
    transport-specific mode pages like the loop parameters of FCP-2). But I
    believe the hypothesis has merit in some of the "end-to-end" and
    "heterogeneous" networking philosophies (OK - so I just read RFC1958 and am
    a bit of a kid with a new toy). It also has commercial merit since
    connecting iSCSI to FC devices seems a market of interest to at least a few.
    To make this iSCSI/FC environment work best, it will need the participation
    of ALL players - there may be times when issues arising in this environment
    are best addressed in something other than the bridge. So - does the WG
    accept that making iSCSI work well with FC is part of iSCSI and not just
    iSCSI/FC bridges? (Not iSCSI alone, of course - FC and SCSI have roles to
    play, too). Before you answer - I suggest that believing that making the
    fabric work well is solely the responsibility of fabric devices led to some
    of the shortcomings in FC fabrics (i.e. the reliance on the SCSI layer for
    end-to-end flow control in FC does make things hard sometimes).

    If you accept that making FC and iSCSI work well is not just the work of the
    fabric devices (dare I call them "boxes in the middle"?) then where is the
    best place to deal with the CRN mode pages? Does having the bridge deal with
    this make sense? It strikes me that CRN is a function between the initiator
    and target and as such is best left (as near as can be obtained) as
    negotiated between the two. So Dave's suggestion of iSCSI mode pages makes
    the most sense to me.

    Also - and this is as much a question as a statement because I honestly
    don't know - but are there other aspects of mode pages where having iSCSI
    mode pages is the best answer? For example, will the use of confirmed
    completions never make sense in an iSCSI environment? If there's ever a use
    for confirmed completions, then the setting of the equivalent to REC_TOV in
    an iSCSI mode page might make sense, too. So Dave's suggestion of adding a
    mode page can also be viewed as a more general solution than just addressing
    CRN.

    Regards,
    Rob

    Rob Grant