    RE: iSCSI: No Framing

    Dear Colleagues,

    PART 1 of 3 :

    The pertinent points that "I" see in Jim's email are:

    A. Need to hear from iSCSI chip implementers ...
       The issues that you raise for e.g. in #2&#4 are simply
       circumstantial( See PART 2 ). Answers to those questions
       unnecessarily call for data flows and implementation
       details that silicon vendors are not allowed to share
       in public. While I do not know of many silicon vendors
       in the multi gig space, clearly one of the competitions
       I respect, namely Trebia, point to FIM as well. Granted,
       no matter what, we are going to see several
       trebia-on-the-other-end and adaptec-on-the-other-end
       type of cost optimizations.

    B. The iWARP/TUF/SCTP under-current ...
       The "only" message of significance in Jim's email is #5.
       It seems like the iWARP/SCTP/TUF enthusiasts somehow feel
       threatened that FIM-iSCSI will dilute the perceived value
       proposition of iWARP :-) I for one am an enthusiast of
       iWARP ideals myself, barring the proposed mechanics. I
       would love to make a buck or two along with you in
       building iWARP NICs, "at the right time". In the
       meanwhile, iSCSI is the flag ship effort that has the
       unique opportunity to make a dent in enabling IP Storage
       visions. ( See PART 3 )

    My assertions are :
        i) TUF/SCTP/iWARP is ruled out in the near term. The
           mechanics are unclear as hell.
        ii) FIM is the least intrusive, TCP transparent, means for
           enabling low-cost(power,b/w,latency,memory,space,CPU)
           RDMA transport of bulk data.
        iii) I do not see significant technical reasons that
           merit major changes to the iSCSI draft at this late
           date.
        iii) Making it OPTIONAL to use, and SHOULD only on send
           provides a graceful and incremental deployment path
           for "real":-) providers and users to succeed.

    I have personally contributed nothing to the iSCSI effort
    and do applaud the pains that several of you are taking to
    pull it all together. In that very same spirit, I respect
    David's decision w.r.t. consensus, whatever that turns out
    to be.

    Thanks.

    -Shridhar Mukund + Todd Sperry, Siva Munnangi, Dev ...

    PART 2 of 3 : MUST delete, SHOULD read

    Dear Jim,

    Congratulations Jim! Seems like when you bowl, pins
    roll, unintentional as they may be. You make a "seemingly"
    well balanced set of arguments and "tactfully" tilt the
    balance towards your chosen side. I would love to be on
    your side ... maybe in another effort :-)

    I would like to introduce you to my respectable friend,
    who "vehemently" contradicts you on all accounts. One of
    his numerous quotes goes as follows:
    "Much of today's usage of the Internet and IP networks
    is for buffer-to-buffer data transfers, often in the
    form of bulk data ... Gigabit and faster network transfers
    incur 'heavy' system resource costs, including both CPU
    use and system bus bandwidth, particularly on the
    receiving side ... The costs incurred on hosts for protocol
    processing and management has 'inhibited' the use of IP
    in the high speed bulk data domain. ... Bulk data transfer
    is dominated by the costs of copying and validating
    incoming data in order to place it at its ultimate
    destination."

    The good friend I quote above is none other than Jim
    Wendt himself!!! I REST MY CASE.

    Thanks.

    -Shridhar Mukund

    PART 3 of 3: MUST delete, OPTIONAL read

    On the lighter side ... since the opponents have "no" technical
    arguments whatsoever against FIM and it is all turning out to
    be a pure political gimmick, I will put on my rusting tin
    politician hat :-)

    My dear fellow iSCSI country (wo)men: If our goals are anything
    short of enabling the HP's, Cisco's, uSoft's, IBM's and EMC's of
    the world in globalization of storage for McDonald's and Macy's
    from Kabul to Somalia, via iSCSI, we have lost our identity!
    ( \insert APPLAUSE for 13 seconds )We are no more protected by
    the vast oceans between us and other Storage efforts. The
    freedom of iSCSI America is threatened from within by elements
    who will not blink twice when it comes to using the world's most
    potent BOO-bombs ... and grinnn while we end up sifting through
    the rubbles for iSCSI, youSCSI and theySCSI.
    ( \insert APPLAUSE for 11 seconds ) Beware of the elements that
    sleep with "our" very ideals in their privacy(burkha clad
    though) and yet attempt to destabilize us, only to accomplish
    their mutated agenda.( \insert APPLAUSE for 57 seconds )

    No offense folks. I respect each and every one of you and
    especially Jim. I think that he was only attempting to
    question, "are we sure ... should we commit ...".
    I disagree with him anyway!

    - the running(actually limping) mate :-) :-) :-)