    RE: IPsec Usage Question

    Knowledge of the gateway IP address (first-hop address) is a
    common requirement for all IP hosts, not just iSCSI hosts.
    In fact, this is information relevant only to the IP
    layer below iSCSI.

    If a security gateway were front-ending an iSCSI device in
    a single box, I would imagine the gateway's IP address would
    be the first-hop address for the IP configuration.  But once
    again, this is below iSCSI and doesn't need to be known to
    iSCSI.

    I therefore don't see why iSCSI needs to be conscious of the
    security gateway's address.  And I agree it's best to keep
    this out of sendtargets, iSNS, and SLP.

    Josh

Last updated: Mon Feb 04 15:17:58 2002
8622 messages in chronological order