    RE: IPsec Usage Question

    I agree with Paul, the association of *any* internal network address to any
    external mapping is  an IPSec configuration concern!  To state that another
    way, that is a generic IPSec security gateway configuration detail.  I can't
    speak for iSNS, but this information does *not* belong in the SendTargets
    command or the iSCSI portion of SLP!  That very notion violates
    architectural layering principals - iSCSI has no need to know about IPSec
    headers which will be stripped off before the iSCSI processing layer
    receives the packet.

    It is true that security gateways in general have implications to the
    accessability of *every* service behind that gateway.  But the solution does
    not lie in sprinkling pieces of the IPSec configuration into all of those
    service configuration mechanisms!  As Paul suggests, this should be handled
    by the IPSec configuration management tools.

    We've already agreed that sendTargets should contain only information
    directly related to iSCSI configuration (knowledge within the iSCSI
    "entity") - see this thread
    http://www.pdl.cmu.edu/mailinglists/ips/mail/msg04944.html  Just say No! to
    feature creep... :-)

    Marjorie Krueger