    Re: iSCSI : login keys & mode page settings

    David,

    Some clarification on the basis for classifying login keys as LO would
    also be helpful. Should login keys that can disrupt I/O on their change
    be allowed to be non-LO ?

    Thanks,
    Santosh

    Black_David@emc.com wrote:

    > Without getting into the technical details of the
    > discussion, I have a couple of observations:
    >
    > (A) The issue of whether to allow mode page
    >         access to and modification of iSCSI parameters
    >         will need to be taken up at the interim
    >         meeting.  IMHO, access seems like a good
    >         idea, so that SCSI-generic code that doesn't
    >         know specifically about iSCSI can find
    >         what it expects where it expects it, but
    >         I'm unsure about modification because it
    >         may carry a risk of code that's iSCSI-unaware
    >         getting something wrong.  The mode page
    >         commands should be transparent to iSCSI.
    >
    > (B) The mode page and text key mechanisms have
    >         to access the same data.  Section 3 of the
    >         -06 version says this, but needs some editing
    >         to enforce it by using "MUST" or its equivalent
    >         (cf. RFC 2119).  This is to prevent an
    >         implementation from having two instances of
    >         the same parameter - one for the mode page and
    >         one for the text keys - which would be a bad
    >         thing.
    >
    > --David

    > David L. Black, Senior Technologist
    > EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    > +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    > black_david@emc.com       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088