    Re: iSCSI : Holes in StatSN

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > With a data sequence we may want to use a similar mechanism to ask for a
    > missed data block as soon as we see one of its successors or the status.

    Julian,

    The missing data PDU is missing due to either a header format error, header
    digest error or data digest error. [in all other cases, TCP ensures reliable
    delivery].

    In 2 of the above 3 cases, [header format error & header digest error] the
    initiator CANNOT do a safe interpretation of the PDU header. Without
    interpreting the PDU header, the initiator does NOT get the Initiator Task
    Tag. Any request to re-send a particular data PDU MUST be qualified by :
    I.T.T + missing_DataSN [+ T.T.T + CmdSN, optionally].

    Since I.T.T. cannot be reliably determined in 2 of the 3 cases, such a
    re-send request cannot be reliably achieved.

    The alternate proposal that was made should be considered in its place, which
    was to :
    - dis-allow overlapped data xfer's
    - initiators do a count check
    - a command level retry is performed at the iSCSI layer on detecting an
    underrun [due to a missing PDU].

    On several ocassions, requests from different people have been made on this
    list to dis-allow overlapped data xfers. Can a WG consensus be sought on this
    issue to see if the benefits of allowing overlapped data xfer's offset its
    complexities and justify its support ?

    Regards,
    Santosh

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088