    Re: iSCSI : Holes in StatSN

    Julian,

    Once the selective StatSN ACK mechanism kicks in, how is the initiator to
    revert to the bulk StatSN ACK ? (i.e. when/how does an initiator realize that
    the hole is filled ?) Or, does it only use selective StatSN ACK from there on
    ?

    The difficulty lies in the fact that a hole created will never be filled
    since "retry" will result in target sending back a subsequent Status PDU with
    a different StatSN. However, the initiator does not know when to safely claim
    that the hole is filled (by sending a bulk StatSN ACK), since there is no way
    to detect this.

    Regards,
    Santosh

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > I've also realized this and included a "sack" mechanism that kicks-in as
    > soon as the initiator gets a hole in the status order.  ExpstatSN is still
    > needed to do a low cost bulk acknowledgement.
    >
    > With a data sequence we may want to use a similar mechanism to ask for a
    > missed data block as soon as we see one of its successors or the status.
    >
    > Julo
    >
    > Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com> on 31/01/2001 10:30:59
    >
    > Please respond to Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com>
    >
    > To:   ips@ece.cmu.edu (ips)
    > cc:
    > Subject:  iSCSI : Holes in StatSN
    >
    > Julian & All,
    >
    > The StatSN ACK is of the form "ExpStatSN acknowledges all Status
    > upto the specified value", and hence, it cannot be sent until
    > all prior command status' have been received.
    >
    > If StatSN 1 were yet to be received and StatSN 2 - 1000 were received
    > thereafter, they cannot be acknowledged by the initiator since
    > the current model does not allow an ExpStatSN ack of 2 - 1000,
    > without also ACKing 1.
    >
    > Since StatSNs are assigned on a per-connection basis, this avoids
    > holes in StatSN received at the initiator. [since TCP orders
    > delivery to iSCSI within a connection]. However, this in itself
    > is insufficient and holes can still occur in the StatSN
    > sequence seen by the initiator, as explained below.
    >
    > Holes in StatSN sequence are seen by an initiator when
    > it detects a digest error on the Status PDU
    > [and discards that PDU] , thereby, dropping such
    > Status'.
    >
    > In such cases, the ExpStatSN acknowledgement is not straight
    > forward at the initiator and does involve some complexity to
    > keep track of possible holes in StatSN. Further, such holes
    > may never be filled, since the "retry" command only uses the
    > same CmdSN while the target sends its response on a different
    > StatSN.
    >
    > In the presence of StatSN holes, [and given the current model
    > of ExpStatSN], initiators will need to score-board received
    > StatSNs prior to sending ExpStatSN acknowledgements.
    >
    > A selective StatSN ack (i.e. ExpStatSN ACKs the specified StatSN)
    > is simpler to implement on the initiator side and allows for
    > quicker de-alloc of resources at the target end.
    > This could be considered as either a replacement for the existing
    > ExpStatSN model, or as a complement to it. (possibly indicated
    > by a SACK bit in the outbound PDUs containing the ExpStatSN).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Santosh
    >
    > ps :
    > There is an earlier thread that dates 10/26/00
    > and is titled "Re: iSCSI Error Recovery", which proposed StatSN per
    > connection as a solution to this problem, but the problem does not
    > go away with just setting StatSNs per connection, since holes still
    > occur on digest errors.
    >
    > --
    > #################################
    > Santosh Rao
> [...]

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088