    iFCP CRC

    Josh,

    Charles mentioned in his presentation that a CRC was being added to the
    encapsulation scheme.
    I'm wondering if you could elaborate on the motivations for this move.
    Certainly, It would be very
    desirable to protect the iFCP encapsulation header, but adding another CRC
    could be costly
    for hardware. I know that "implementations" may be able to ensure that FC
    traffic is entirely
    encapsulated within a single network MTU, but generally speaking, that might
    not be the case.
    Requiring yet another CRC which is hard to manage across network packets
    seems like overkill.

    Fibre Channel and iSCSI both have considerations for CRC. I know that iFCP
    mucks with the
    encapsulated payload (D_ID's and S_ID's), but it seems like it would be
    completely acceptable
    to check and re-calculate the FC CRC to cover the modifications to the
    payload of the iFCP PDU
    (you have to do this anyway). To protect the iFCP header, I would vote for a
    simple checksum which
    just covers the header.

    -Wayland