    RE: iFCP CRC

    Wayland,

    One important detail which was accidentally omitted from the
    iFCP document is that the FC CRC (along with EoF and SoF) is
    stripped off and not encapsulated in the iFCP PDU.  As you guessed,
    the reason this was done is because iFCP changes the S_ID and
    D_ID in the original FC frame.  The motivation behind adding it
    back in at the iFCP layer is that some reviewers have expressed
    the concern that the TCP checksum is not strong enough to catch
    all bit errors. We will be adding the payload CRC as an optional
    parameter declared during the N_PORT session setup.  That is, each
    iFCP gateway indicates if the payload CRC is present by setting a
    flag in the CBIND message.  If the destination gateway doesn't
    support CRC, it can simply ignore it (skip the 32-bits) and rely
    on the TCP checksum.

    Thank you also for the comment that a header CRC might be overkill
    to protect just the iFCP encapsulation header.  We will consider
    making this a parameter declared during N_PORT session setup.
    That is, each iFCP gateway will indicate in CBIND if a CRC, checksum,
    or nothing is present to protect the header in the iFCP PDUs
    that it originates.

    Josh