    SNIA iSCSI/IP Storage Industry Forum conference call

    I know I am taking some risk here by distributing something not entirely
    technical on the IPS reflector.  However, I want to make sure we reach all
    interested parties who may benefit from the following SNIA initiative for
    IP-based storage networking.

    Please forgive this intrusion, but please also respond if you or your
    company is interested (or forward to the appropriate person in your
    organization).

    Thanks and apologies,

    Tom

    ---------------------------------------
    Originally distributed to SNIA-ALL reflector:

    Friends,

    The SNIA is creating SNIA-sponsored Industry Forums for marketing and
    promotion of specific storage networking technologies.  The SNIA Industry
    Forums (SNIFs) will launch their own marketing initiatives, conference
    events, demonstrations, etc. while leveraging SNIA resources and
    infrastructure.  SNIF participants must be SNIA members and will pay an
    additional Forum membership fee to defray SNIA expenses and provide budget
    for SNIF activities. This fee will be approximately $5,000 per member
    company per year, and each SNIF may elect to require additional fees for
    special activities if necessary.

    The first SNIA Industry Forum that has been proposed will focus on IP-based
    storage networking.  The final name of this SNIF ("iSCSI Industry Forum" or
    "IP Storage Industry Forum") and its scope of work will, in SNIA's
    democratic tradition, be determined by the participants who wish to be
    active in the Forum.

    The SNIA board has appointed Clod Barrera of IBM and Tom Clark of Nishan
    Systems to initiate the  first SNIF conference call.  The first call will be
    this coming Thursday, December 14th,  at 10:00 AM Pacific standard time.
    The conference line has been provided by Doug Ingraham of Cisco and is as
    follows:

    Dial-in Number:  1-877-232-0064
    Long distance and international callers: 1-816-650-0641
    Participate code number is: 3981001

    Since we anticipate substantial interest in this SNIF, please share phone
    lines if more than one representative from your company wishes to dial in.

    We are also establishing a temporary SNIA reflector for discussion and
    document distribution.  The reflector is:

    snia-snifs@snia.org

    we have a final name for this SNIFs, a permanent reflector will be
    established.

    If your company is interested in joining this Industry Forum, please
    subscribe to the snia-snifs reflector, copying Tom Clark
    (tclark@nishansystems.com), and participate in Thursday's call.

    We will have several conference calls in December and January to finalize
    the mission statement, scope of work, and budget proposal.  We have planned
    for a face-to-face meeting at the SNIA Technology Center in Colorado Springs
    on the morning of January 9th.  Final documents will be voted on at this
    meeting and forwarded to the SNIA board for approval.

    Special thanks to Clod Barrera for formulating the SNIA Industry Forum
    proposal.  Hopefully this will be the first of many affinity groups within
    the SNIA advancing the cause of storage networking.

    Tom

    Tom Clark
    SNIA Board Member
    Co-Chair SNIA Interoperability Committee
    Director of Technical Marketing
    Nishan Systems, Inc.
    425-844-0675
    tclark@nishansystems.com