    RE: iSCSI: Stand alone SAN network configuration change notice.

    David,

    If you feel ICMP is off the table, then consider this suggestion as a
    general signaling mechanism using UDP.  Although the affected programs may
    be at the application level, the change notification would be changes in
    assignments or function within the physical networks through a SAN bridge,
    router or switch.  The suggestion that I made included notice and reply to
    overcome your delivery concern.  If you look at RFC2521 (1999 experimental)
    you will see ICMP used to signal security failures.  As the server and the
    SAN network is likely inside the firewall, there should be few such issues
    related to ICMP for this type of signaling concerning IPSec and may be
    viewed as a feature.  I would not view this signal used at the client.  The
    server should relay such concerns through the native transport.  It is at
    the switch, router, bridge where this signal is likely to occur to perhaps
    inform higher level protocols of this network related change as is often the
    case.  It is at that level of impact that I think deserves this
    consideration that may happen only once every five years.  I have no trouble
    looking elsewhere such as UDP but I must say I do not agree with your
    conclusions.  Considering such a signaling mechanism may impact the various
    transports if such signaling is standardized, reflector bandwidth should not
    be a major concern to resolve if changing existing network services are the
    best solution or if a more general and simpler scheme may be of greater
    utility.

    Doug