    RE: iSCSI: ICMP for Notification?

    Doug,

    There are a whole bunch of problems here:

    - The IPS protocols are layer 5, ICMP is at
    	layer 3.
    - ICMP is an unreliable delivery protocol without
    	retransmits.
    - ICMP's interaction with IPSec can be peculiar,
    	to put it mildly.
    - No new standard codes have been added to ICMP for
    	the past five years.

    For all these reasons, I don't think use of ICMP for SAN
    management notifications is a good idea, and hence the
    WG should look elsewhere for a notification mechanism.
    Further discussion of this topic is not an appropriate
    use of list bandwidth.  Please do not reply to the list.