    RE: iSCSI reqmts and Ethernet adapters

    > I'll stand by the stated intent of implementing this protocol in hardware.
    > The same is also true for iFCP and FCIP.

    I never questioned the fact that there will be hardware implementations.
    It still appears to me that no change to the iSCSI requirements document
    is needed to deal with this set of issues.  I am strongly opposed to linking
    iSCSI specification development to FCIP and iFCP in a fashion that would
    require all three to be submitted to the IESG as a single set of documents.

    > Here IPS is developing a framing protocol that increases the level of
    error
    > detection.

    I'm sorry, but that's incorrect, because the IPS WG is not developing
    any framing protocol.  draft-williams-tcpulpframe-01.txt and
    draft-otis-tcp-framing-00.txt are both TSVWG drafts, not IPS drafts.
    TSVWG is the right place to work on these sorts of common framing
    mechanisms, and how that work is pursued is at the discretion and
    judgement of TSVWG and its chairs.

    > The IPS has made explicit reference to these intentions of
    > having this protocol supported directly in hardware.  I will be happy to
    > show how this protocol can be mapped into a common structure which would
    > avail more protocols to this hardware acceleration at the same time ease
    the
    > transition to SCTP.

    The first step of submitting draft-otis-tcp-framing-00.txt has been taken
    (thank you) and the IPS WG will observe and follow what is done in this
    area by TSVWG.

    Further discussion of framing belongs on the TSVWG list, not IPS.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500