    RE: iSCSI reqmts and Ethernet adapters

    David,

    Thanks for the url correction for the document.  Although I posted this
    document 4 days ago, it still has not been published as an I-D.  Here is a
    reference to it until then.
    http://ips.pdl.cs.cmu.edu/mail/msg04238.html

    I'll stand by the stated intent of implementing this protocol in hardware.
    The same is also true for iFCP and FCIP.

    Page 8 of the requirements document:
        "(2)  Development of Ethernet storage NICs and related driver and
             protocol software; [NOTE: high-speed applications of iSCSI are
             expected to require significant portions of the iSCSI/TCP/IP
             implementation in hardware to achieve the necessary
             throughput.]"

    Page 11:
      "2.3. Framing

       Framing refers to the addition of information in a header, or the
       data stream to allow implementations to locate the boundaries of an
       iSCSI protocol data unit (PDU) within the TCP byte stream.  There
       are two technical requirements driving framing: interfacing needs,
       and accelerated processing needs.

       A framing solution that addresses the "interfacing needs" of the
       iSCSI protocol will facilitate the implementation of a message-based
       upper layer protocol (iSCSI) on top of an underlying byte streaming
       protocol (TCP).  Since TCP is a reliable transport, this can be
       accomplished by including a length field in the iSCSI header.
       Finding the protocol frame assumes that the receiver will parse from
       the beginning of the TCP data stream, and never make a mistake (lose
       alignment on packet headers).

       The other technical requirement for framing, "accelerated
       processing", stems from the need to handle increasingly higher data
       rates in the physical media interface.  Two needs arise from higher
       data rates:

       (1)  LAN environment - NIC vendors seek ways to provide "zero-copy"
            methods of moving data directly from the wire into application
            buffers.

       (2)  WAN environment- the emergence of high bandwidth, high latency,
            low bit error rate physical media places huge buffer
            requirements on the physical interface solutions.

       First, vendors are producing network processing hardware that
       offloads network protocols to hardware solutions to achieve higher
       data rates.  The concept of "zero-copy" seeks to store blocks of
       data in appropriate memory locations (aligned) directly off the
       wire, even in when data is reordered due to packet loss.  This is
       necessary to drive actual data rates of 10 Gigabits and beyond.

       Secondly, in order for iSCSI to be successful in the WAN arena it
       MUST be possible to operate efficiently in high bandwidth, high
       delay networks.  The emergence of multi-gigabit IP networks with
       latencies in the tens to hundreds of milliseconds presents a
       challenge. To fill such large pipes, tens of megabytes of
       outstanding requests from the application are needed. In addition,
       some protocols potentially require tens of megabytes at the
       transport layer to deal with buffering for reassembly of data when
       packets are received out-of-order.

       Consider that a network pipe at 10 Gbps x 200 msec holds 250 MB.
       [Assume land-based communication with a spot half way around the
       world at the equator.  Ignore additional distance due to cable
       routing.  Ignore repeater and switching delays; consider only a
       speed-of-light delay of 5 microsec/km.  The circumference of the
       globe at the equator is approx. 40000 km (round-trip delay must be
       considered to keep the pipe full).  10 Gb/sec x 40000 km x 5
       microsec/km x B / 8b = 250 MB].  In a conventional TCP
       implementation, loss of a TCP segment means that stream processing
       MUST stop until that segment is recovered, which takes at least a
       time of <network round trip> to accomplish.  Following the example
       above, an implementation would be obliged to catch 250 MB of data
       into an anonymous buffer before resuming stream processing; later,
       this data would need to be moved to its proper location.  Some
       proponents of iSCSI seek some means of putting data directly where
       it belongs, and avoiding extra data movement in the case of segment
       drop.  This is a key concept in understanding the debate behind
       framing methodologies.

       The framing of the iSCSI protocol impacts both the "interfacing
       needs" and the "accelerated processing needs", however, while
       including a length in a header may suffice for the "interfacing
       needs", it will not serve the "accelerated processing needs". The
       framing mechanism developed should allow resynchronization of packet
       boundaries even in the case where a packet is temporarily missing in
       the incoming data stream."

    Here IPS is developing a framing protocol that increases the level of error
    detection.  The IPS has made explicit reference to these intentions of
    having this protocol supported directly in hardware.  I will be happy to
    show how this protocol can be mapped into a common structure which would
    avail more protocols to this hardware acceleration at the same time ease the
    transition to SCTP.

    Although I may upset some with this message, I feel this is a pivotal point
    in time.  Yes, it is possible to support this protocol in software, but not
    at competitive data rates.  Of this you should be clear.  At this point in
    time, with the iSCSI protocol in flux, it is impossible to make hardware for
    this protocol.  With a minor amount of effort, this protocol could be placed
    into a common format.  This becomes an architectural decision.  This is a
    profound decision as it will determine the number of adapters needed by
    systems to support these various protocols.  A decision that will impact the
    next decade and likely influence networking profoundly.  These are not just
    protocols.  You are attempting to redefine the nature of the network
    adapter.

    Presently you wish to see this done in a haphazard manner without any
    coordination by the IETF.  This attitude does not reflect the magnitude of
    this endeavor.  Frankly, had the IPS followed the efforts of the sigtran
    group, there could have been and will be considerable time saved.  As it is
    now, we are readopting multi-connection protocols with unique SACK packet
    schemes, error handling etc.  In other words, re-inventing SCTP.  It took
    them more than 2 years to get SCTP where they are now and it is in suitable
    form for generic use.  If the effort is to use TCP, I can show how that can
    be done as well by adopting SCTP structures.  iSCSI, RDMA, iFCP, and FCIP
    should not need special devices made as a result of wanting improved error
    detection, framing and data vectoring.  This is not rocket science, but not
    using a common format makes it an adapter zoo.

    Doug

    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-fcencapsulation-00.txt

    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-otis-iscsi-fullack-00.txt

    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-reqmts-03.txt