    iSCSI reqmts and Ethernet adapters

    > This requirements document makes it clear there is expectation of
    modifying
    > Ethernet adapters to support this protocol.  Should this required hardware
    > support be made in a general fashion to allow common use among other
    > protocols?

    There are at least two announced iSCSI products and
    an open source driver that do not require any
    modifications to existing Ethernet adapters,
    so such modifications are clearly not a requirement.

    > This hardware requirement is primarily based on two
    > requirements, to increase the level of error detection and to allow
    framing.

    Error detection (i.e., CRC or checksum) can be done in
    software as Doug has frequently pointed out on this list.
    I don't think the statement about IPS and TSVWG pursuing
    a common error detection algorithm is correct -- while
    I'll defer to the ADs (who are the chairs of TSVWG), I
    believe TSVWG has significant interest in an improved
    checksum (e.g., Adler-32 based on adding 16-bit quantities
    instead of 8-bit), whereas IPS intends to use CRCs.

    Framing is optional and being pursued in a layered fashion
    as called for by the WG charter.  The instructions in
    the WG charter should be sufficient - adding text to the
    iSCSI requirements document that introduces otherwise
    unneeded dependencies on other protocol specification
    efforts (i.e., iFCP, FCIP) is a bad idea.  Heaven help
    us if we have to submit all the protocol drafts for the
    IPS WG to the IESG in one big bundle - at the very least
    the IESG will be annoyed, and annoying the IESG has all
    sorts of bad side effects ;-).

    I don't see that any change to the iSCSI requirements draft
    is needed in either of these areas based on this set of
    comments.

    Doug also posted a pointer to the wrong draft - I suspect
    he meant to point to draft-otis-tcp-framing-00.txt.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500