    RE: iSCSI reqmts and Ethernet adapters

    David,

    If you look at the "desired" and required features of iSCSI as described in
    the requirements document, there is a general structure that could provide
    these features.  iSCSI still defines the various commands and the means of
    communicating with very little changed from the current proposal.  This
    change in structure however will lend itself to a generalized method of
    providing hardware features to many other protocols however.

    Let me give you an example from the perspective of the SCTP structures as
    related to iSCSI:
     - Map the SCSI Tag into the SCTP Data Chunk Stream.
     - Establish hardware vectors associated with Data Chunk Payload Protocol
    Identifiers indexed by Stream.
     - Define categories of Payload Protocol IDs to isolate Command, Status,
    Data, and iSCSI PDUs.
     - These categories then provide direct placement of stream content
    sensitive to iSCSI.

    This generalized form of data placement maps nicely into iSCSI, iFCP, FCIP,
    RDMA, RPC, NFS, ...

    Advantages comes from the removal of error detection, error recovery, flow
    control, multi-homing, session recovery, anti-spoofing, anti-DoS, and
    independent delivery become common among all of these protocols as well as
    many more to come.  The movement to SCTP then is painless.  As it is now,
    iSCSI can not meet the SAM-2 requirement and needs renovation due to this
    short-coming.  SCTP structures again provides a solution here as well.

    iSCSI, iFCP, FCIP, and RDMA could stop looking for a record offload scheme
    for TCP.  This record based offload becomes SCTP structure based to create a
    common structure.  The SCTP common header could become a TCP option to allow
    for negotiation.

    I do not see why this subject should not be discussed on IPS as it relates
    directly to those protocols that are presently advocating modified network
    adapters.  The only aspect that I was requesting was the iSCSI requirements
    document adds a requirement to seek this common structure for hardware
    support.  You say it is not practical.  I differ with that opinion.

    Doug