    RE: iSCSI Target Reset

    Starting with John's comments:

    > described the action in FC terms.  In iSCSI terms, I think the Target
    > Device would be a complete Symmetrix.  Do you think that is correct?

    If existing cluster software continues to issue Target Resets, then
    no, because such Target Resets must not reset the complete
    Symmetrix for correct operation - they don't currently.

    > What does Symmetrix do today to support Target Reset?

    Reset the port on which it arrives (SCSI or FC), and generally
    configure things so that anything else that could be negatively
    impacted by side effects of that reset is not connected to that port.
    IIRC, AIX clusters use Target Resets.

    > And how do you think it should act in the future?

    Whatever it takes to keep existing cluster software happy.

    > Surly you do not want the complete controller reset, do you?

    If "controller" means the entire array, then of course not -
    don't be ridiculous.

    On to Rob's most important comment:

    > The recent SAM-2 change was expressly designed to encourage
    > iSCSI and SRP to drop support for TARGET RESET.  Please don't
    > keep it because you think T10 would be offended :-)

    If dropping support for it breaks existing clustering software, that doesn't
    seem like a good idea.  Such breakage will be viewed as an iSCSI
    problem (it works fine on Fibre Channel ...), and will not contribute
    to the adoption or acceptance of iSCSI :-(.

    I appreciate T10's intention to obsolete Target Reset and would offer
    two possible courses of action:

    - If someone writes up a convincing case (Internet-Draft) for being
    	able to map things that would have caused Target Resets to
    	LUN Resets in iSCSI device drivers and the like in a fashion that
    	will keep existing cluster software working (and unaware that
    	this change has happened beneath it), then dropping
    	Target Reset may be feasible.  This is akin to the discussion
    	we went through about mandating Autosense and dropping
    	Contingent Allegiance (it's easy to make a CA device do
    	Autosense transparently), except that it'll have to consider what
    	the various clustering software implementations actually do,
    	as opposed to all the possible ways in which Target Reset
    	could be used/abused.  Anyone want to volunteer?

    - Put in some SHOULDs and SHOULD NOTs encouraging the use
    	of LU Reset in place of Target Reset, and making Target Reset
    	either OPTIONAL or NOT RECOMMENDED to implement.

    The second bullet seems to match what T10 has done in practice
    - this feature is not a good idea, but can't be removed from the
    specification, at least not yet.

    One more question for T10 - do the tape folks still need Target
    Reset to whack an uncooperative robot/drive into submission
    or is LU Reset good enough?

    Comments?

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500