    RE: iSCSI Target Reset

    Sandeep,

    Your statements about VERITAS Cluster Server (VCS) are correct. Today VCS
    supports 32 node clusters and uses SCSI reservations in its storage
    allocation and split brain detection algorithms. Target resets are also part
    of the split brain algorithm, though they are not used in any major way. For
    future configurations we're looking at using Persistent Reservations, as
    defined in SPC-2 and beyond, for many of the reasons already stated in this
    thread i.e. scalability and data availability in large SANs with multiported
    storage.

    Resetting only the LUNs that a specific initiator can see, or providing a
    LUN-specific reset, is an interesting idea, and I think there are a number
    of storage controllers out there that provide such functionality in a vendor
    unique way. But my personal feeling (not necessarily that of everyone @
    VERITAS) is that using & extending the functionality provided by Persistent
    Reservations is a better and cleaner solution going forward.

    Regards,

    Roger Cummings
    Technology Group
    VERITAS Software