ABOUT THE PDL
The Parallel Data Lab at Carnegie Mellon University is academia's premiere storage systems research center. An interdisciplinary group, its 40-50 members come mainly from the Computer Science and ECE Departments. We also have a lot of friends in industry who generously provide us with advice, and some of the funding and equipment necessary to carry out our research.
Our research addresses a broad spectrum of storage-related challenges, including storage security, emerging technologies, disk characterization and modeling, efficient storage access, storage networking, and network-attached storage clusters.
- Big Learning (Systems for ML) - The BigLearning project aims at scaling machine learning to large and sophisticated models and huge data for average machine learning practitioners by developing programmable, distributed computing frameworks.
- Cloud Scheduling (TetriSched) - maximize resource efficiency and utilization via a scheduler that accepts resource requests in the form of utility functions
- Database Systems - experimental database systems exploring different aspects of storage and efficiency in large-scale databases
- Data Center Observatory (DCO) - A working data center and a research vehicle for the study of data center automation and efficiency
- dbug - exploring an alternative method to stress testing called systematic testing, which controls the order in which certain concurrent events occur
- DiskSim - an efficient, accurate, highly-configurable disk system simulator.
- Hadoop Workload Analysis - to better understand data scientists' use of the Hadoop system through workload analysis
- Landslide - Systematic dynamic race detection in kernel space
- PDL vCloud - replacing a multitude of single-purpose clusters, managed and underutilized by individual groups, with an IaaS private cloud for class projects, simulations, data analyses, and cluster and data-intensive computing activities
- PLFS - Parallel Log-Structured File System to act as an interposed layer inserted into the existing storage stack able to rearrange problematic access patterns to achieve much better performance from the underlying parallel file system
- PRObE - Parallel Reconfigurable Observational Environment -- a one-of-a-kind computer facility dedicated to large-scale systems research, which allows hands-on operation of very large compute resources
- Storage QoS (PriorityMeister) - Providing storage QoS in dynamic heterogeneous networks and storage environments in the face of workload interference
- Tetriscope - a combination of the application scheduler TetriSched and the visualization tool Atlas.
, PDL Director
, PDL Executive Director
, PDL Administrative Manager
Computer Science Department
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue - CIC 2209
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3891
Most PDL offices are now located in the CIC Building on campus.
PDL's Visitor Information page.
The School of Computer Science's extensive list of directions on how to get to CMU from just about anywhere.
More directions to find CMU and the Dept. of ECE.