    Re: Emailing: msg10855.txt

    Pat,

    The answer is the latter - initiator connection state machine must return
    to S1 (FREE) before the barrier is removed.  An explanation follows.

    The reason behind the rule was to ensure that a target doesn't see a stale
    command (which was in fact a retry of an old command delivered at just
    the wrong time).  A target would continue to "see" commands arriving
    on a connection as long as the *target's* connection state machine is
    in LOGGED_IN (even after the initiator's connection state machine
    may have transitioned to CLEANUP_WAIT, say on a local NIC failure).
    For this reason, initiator must ensure that the connection state machine
    transitions to FREE (going through the connection cleanup state diagram),
    before advancing the CmdSN window.

    May be we should replace the phrase "if the connection is still operational,"
    with "if the connection is in the LOGGED_IN state or the connection cleanup
    (see Section 5.2) is not complete,".

    Thanks.
    --
    Mallikarjun