    iSCSI: adding a new rule to section 5.2

    Julian,

    I suggest adding one new para to section 5.2 just before the sentence -
    "The following state diagram applies to both initiators and targets."

    The new para I suggest is:

    "An initiator must initiate an explicit or implicit connection logout for a
    connection in the CLEANUP_WAIT state, if the initiator intends to continue
    using the associated iSCSI session."

    The reason is:  We don't want initiators sitting on failed connections for
    the (DefaultTime2Wait+DefaultTime2Retain) period even while using the
    session on other connections, and then assuming that the connection must
    had been freed up on the target.  A target may not always see the connection
    failure that the initiator did, and may not have any TCP/iSCSI keep-alive to
    detect that the connection failed, so may continue to indefinitely keep the
    connection state around (and receive stale commands) without ever going
    through the connection state timeout path.

    The problem becomes clear if we look at the case where both timeouts were
    negotiated to be zero.

    Comments?

    Mallikarjun

Last updated: Wed Jun 19 17:18:46 2002