    RE: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    Please see comments below.

    If this information helps in documenting and communicating
    potential login problems, why not include it in the login?
    Again, without this information, it is very difficult to
    correlate a old trace with the product/revision of a remote device.

    >> Accessing iSCSI MIB requires a separate step, path, management
    >> tool.  Some low end products may not provide it at all.
    >> And most importantly, it won't help you if you have to analyze
    >> some old traces.
    >>

    >Are there actually devices in an iSCSI environment that will
    >have no MIB?
    >
    >> Think of this scenario, suppose you are building an iSCSI HBA
    >> and you need to do login interoperability testings with 10
    >> different iSCSI targets, wouldn't it be nice that all you have
    >> to do is to run the tests and save the login traces, knowing that
    >> the product id and revision is embedded in the trace.
    >>

    >Nope.  I know who they are by their MIB or CIM information.
    >
    >> I feel that this kind of information should definitely be there,
    >> if X key is not appropriate, I would suggest to use regular key.
    >
    >I feel that this information is already there and creating
    >a redundant and non-standard mechanism for replicating this
    >information is a real problem.

    I agree that this information is already there, I am not suggesting
    to replicate, but just provide another means to present it to the client.

    Regards,
    Dennis

Last updated: Mon Jun 10 17:19:15 2002
10644 messages in chronological order