    RE: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Robert Snively wrote:

    > > Question about the operational components being able to determine this
    > > info. iSCSI is, in terms from SAM-2, a Service Delivery
    > > Subsystem (SDS).
    > > While many implementations act as scsi servers (disks & tapes, etc.),
    > > that's not part of the spec.
    > >

    > You are clearly correct.  By operational components, I
    > mean those that are performing SCSI operations.  The
    > service delivery system (iSCSI) is already neatly standardized
    > and has no need to identify vendor and model, since by
    > being iSCSI it has already specified its interoperability
    > requirement.

    That comment reflects a very nice ideal. My concern is that I'm not sure
    we're there. What about Luben's comments that there are existing
    interoperability problems among compliant systems? AS I understand him,
    compliant *iSCSI* systems. ??

    Also, I think there is one general problem with the spec, that I have no
    idea how to fix. When I was first reading the spec, it came across as a
    document that makes perfect sense once I understand it, but it's rough
    getting that initial understanding. My technical writing skills aren't up
    to the task to do anything different, and I expect someone will make some
    $$ off of an intro book. So I accept it as it is, or make minor
    suggestions.

    But the problem (as a number of recent threads have shown :-) is that
    people who are looking at the spec for the first time don't necessarily
    come to understand the spec the same way that the longer-term WG members
    do. The longer-term members see the written spec as a clear reflection of
    their idea of the spec, so they don't see the problems. They've been to
    plug-fests, and so they have a lot of commonality in their mental ideas of
    what the spec is. When a choice comes up, they naturally choose the same
    way as the other longer-term members, and they don't always see that
    they've made a choice.

    Now that's not meant as a criticism of the WG or of Julian. As issues have
    come up, Julian and the group have worked on clarifying issues. The
    problem is that a question has to come up before the clarification
    happens. Once we get past last-call, this process will stop until the next
    version.

    So what do we do? Do we really expect we will stop finding problems after
    last-call? If not, do we work with what we have, or not? Adding
    vendor/product/revision tags is one way to help implementations deal with
    what we have until the next version of the spec can fix problems.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Fri Jun 07 20:18:41 2002
10601 messages in chronological order