    RE: FCIP: Comment 120

    > > Besides, I don't see anything in the current document that prohibits
    multiple
    > > FC/FCIP Entity Pairs from sharing the same IP/TCP address/port - and I
    believe
    > > that is the right architectural approach.
    >
    > In the Orange County meeting, the FCIP contributors were told that we
    > had to stop relying on knowing the exact IP Address and Port to decide
    > the end points of the FCIP Links. We were NOT told that we had to
    > allow multiple FC/FCIP Entity Pairs to share a single IP Address/Port.
    > In fact, I believe we were told that we could proceed using such
    > an assumption.

    While Ralph doth protest a bit much, I believe he has the better part
    of this discussion.  It is completely reasonable to identify an IP
    service instance as "that which responds when contacting TCP port X
    at IP address a.b.c.d" - for example, there's only one http server
    behind port 80, but there might be a different one behind port 8080.

    If there's a NAT involved, the discussion gets a bit subtle, but
    the principle remains - one opens a TCP connection to port X at
    IP address a.b.c.d, and expects to talk directly to a specific instance
    of an IP-based service.  I don't see any need to change FCIP to
    allow multiple FC/FCIP Entity Pairs to share a single IP Address/Port;
    the fact that multiple TCP connections to the same FC/FCIP Entity
    Pair can share that TCP Port seems sufficient.  Having seen no other
    participants in this discussion, I also believe that the rough
    consensus of the WG is not to change FCIP in this fashion.

    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Thu May 09 20:18:34 2002
10039 messages in chronological order