    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Mallikarjun C.
    Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 10:16 AM
    To: roweber@acm.org; ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Re: FCIP: Comment 120

    > I would think that sending a TCP connect request to the same IP Address
    > and Port as was used in the previous TCP connect request would achieve
    > the intended result.

    Not a correct assumption.  You are using names (FC Fabric Entity WWN is
    a name.  The FC/FCIP Entity Identifier is a name unique within the scope of
    the FC Fabric Entity.) in FSF only because IP addresses/TCP port
    associations
    cannot provide the FCIP-end2end assurance that the right entities are
    talking.

    Besides, I don't see anything in the current document that prohibits
    multiple
    FC/FCIP Entity Pairs from sharing the same IP/TCP address/port - and I
    believe
    that is the right architectural approach.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture