    Re: FCIP: Comment 125

    Mallikarjun,

    > OK, but I don't see how is this distinction may be made use of by the
    > receiver.  IIRC, any comparison failure (Ch bit or not) leads to a
    > connection drop.  Is Ch bit then intended only for diagnostics?

    If the Ch bit is zero, the poor-man's SLP receiver cannot inspect the
    contents of the Destination FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name field to
    determine the correct Destination FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name
    value.

    If the Ch bit is one, the poor-man's SLP receiver can inspect the
    contents of the Destination FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name field
    to determine the correct Destination FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name
    value. As David has pointed out, the FC Fabric Entity World Wide
    Name value determined in this was is itself subject to potential
    corruption. However, the only result of that corruption is that
    the subsequent connection setup will fail because the FC Fabric
    Entity World Wide Name will be wrong.

    Thanks.

    .Ralph

    "Mallikarjun C." wrote:

    > Ralph,
    >
    > > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-fcip-wglc-01.pdf
    > > Please review these comments resolutions to ensure that
    > > the desired changes are described.
    >
    > Sorry for the delayed review, I have additional comments on wglc-01
    > for Comment 125.
    >
    > Regards.
    > --
    > Mallikarjun
    >
    > Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    > Networked Storage Architecture
    > Network Storage Solutions Organization
    > Hewlett-Packard MS 5668
    > Roseville CA 95747
    > cbm@rose.hp.com
    >
    > >Comment 125
    > >> 9.1.2.3 Connection Setup After a Successful TCP Connect Request
    > >> If the echoed FCIP Special Frame bytes do not exactly match the
    > >> FCIP Special Frame bytes sent (words 7 through 17 inclusive), the
    > >> FCIP Entity SHALL close the TCP Connection and notify the FC
    > >> Entity with the reason for the closure.
    > >Seems like all the 11 words are required to be compared. If so, what
    > >is the Ch bit being used for? IOW, why SHALL it be set by the
    > >responder?
    > >Inquiry
    > >The Ch bit serves to identify the difference between changes
    > >made intentionally by the echoing FCIP Entity and changes that
    > >result from transmission errors.
    >
    > OK, but I don't see how is this distinction may be made use of by the
    > receiver.  IIRC, any comparison failure (Ch bit or not) leads to a
    > connection drop.  Is Ch bit then intended only for diagnostics?

Last updated: Mon May 06 14:18:30 2002
9983 messages in chronological order