    FC Mgmt mib

    (This is regarding draft-ietf-ips-fcmgmt-mib-01)

    Hello,

    I am writing on behalf of a group at Cisco which is developing an optical
    box. One of our linecards is aimed at providing Fibre Channel aggregation
    while simultaneously extending fibrechannel connectivity to much larger
    distances. Fibre channel frames are encapsulated into ethernet frames,
    tagged with a flow identifier and these frames are packet multiplexed
    over the trunk interface (which operates at the ITU grid frequency).

    -------+         +---------+           +---------+         +-------
    Regular|   FC    |Our box 1|   GigE    |Our box 2|   FC    |Regular
    FC port+---------+ X     Tx+-----------+Ty     Y +---------+FC Port
       A   |         |         |           |         |         |  B
    -------+         +---------+           +---------+         +-------

    In figure above, FC streams from multiple X & Y ports are ethernet
    encapsulated and multiplexed over Tx & Ty ports respectively.

    We were considering supporting the draft-ietf-ips-fcmgmt-mib-01 for
    providing fibre channel management of our box. We had a few requests in
    this regard.

    As described above, we do not terminate fibrechannel at the FC-2 level.
    We handle only upto FC-1 level. We remain transparent to the fibre channel
    connectivity. We feel that there is no appropriate value in the
    FcUnitFunctions type that would describe the nature of our box. We
    would like to propose a new code point 'transport'.

    Secondly, we wanted a means to report the BB Credit on our (X & Y) ports.
    There are FcBbCredit objects in fcmFxPortTable & fcmEPortTable through
    which we can report this value. But, we are neither an F nor E port. So
    would it possible to consider our ports as a new category of 'transport'
    ports which do SAN extension and have a separate table for it which has BB
    credit object?

    The last issue is regarding the fcmLinkTable. It is currently mandatory.
    We would prefer that the table was made optional. Ofcourse, the table in
    its current form does not preclude not populating it, if nothing was
    learnt. Any information about the ID of the source port & node that we are
    connected to, which we might discover by potentially snooping the frames,
    we would like to report via the PTOPO-MIB (rfc2922).

    I hope our inputs could be incorporated into the proposed FC mgmt MIB draft.
    Please let us know what you think.

    best regards,
    Arvind

Last updated: Fri May 24 13:18:37 2002