    RE: iscsi: CRN support not required. [was :Re: [Fwd: iSCSI: items discussed at WG meeting]]

    David,

    I am afraid that the current text of SAM2 will not allow us to remove CRN. It states explicitly that "when the optional CRN argument is used all sequential commands of an I_T_L nexus shall include a CRN argument ..." (pg 70) (only the 0 value is reserved to be defined by the transport).

    I agree that the use is defined in a very fuzzy manner and how the option is activated should be better handled by T10
    but I don't think that we can remove it (unless T10 changes it's status).

    You may recall that this requirement was also the base we introduced it.

    As it stands - in iSCSI - CRN is "supported" when the ULP has a way to convey it to iSCSI.

    We should make clear to T10 that if the option is to be controlled by a mode page that has to be a SCSI not a transport mode page.

    Black_David@emc.com
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    04-04-02 04:57
    Please respond to Black_David