    Re: MaxBurstSize ambiguous and should be separated

    John and Julian,

    A couple of comments.

    > devices, that have more buffers for input then they have for output

    I think the issue is that the input buffer limit of the target which
    generally decides MaxBurstSize doesn't have to constrain the
    read data sequence size if the initiator is willing to receive more in
    a sequence (generally limitless).  OTOH, there are two (arguably minority)
    cases where the targets can't generate very long read data sequences
    even after the proposed change -
        a) when the initiator wants the read sequence to end sooner, possibly
            to start the outbound data transfer in the case of bidi commands. It
            may however be larger than target's buffer  limit.
        b)when the A-bit is used, the target can not really pipeline the data
            into one long sequence, since it must keep the data until it's ack'ed and
            the same buffer restrictions apply that it has for inbound data (John's
            argument).

    My question really is: what is being gained in longer sequences?  IOW,
    how is one 4K burst with one F-bit more efficient than one 4K burst with
    two F-bits?

    At least, I am not clear on the answer to this question.  Changing obviously
    has some downsides besides that it's not a must-fix issue - the A-bit text
    would need to be changed (again), and there may be other text that needs to
    be revised that currently depends on MaxBurstSize (for ex. MaxRecvPDULength)...

    Comment on Ron's original question -
    > MaxBurstSize, as it is now defined, limits both write sequences (by
    > limiting
    > the R2T) and limits read sequences supposedly when using the A bit.

    The implication in this sentence isn't quite correct.  The text only says that
    the A-bit must not be set more frequently than MaxBurstSize, it doesn't
    say anything in regards to the association of *A-bit* to the sequence size.
    MaxBurstSize generally mandates the setting of the *F-bit* (even though
    this isn't quite obvious today), not the setting of the A-bit (A-bit doesn't have
    to be used at all!).
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka