    RE: iscsi: version number in draft 11

    David,

    We could move to 10 when going RFC - version numbers are arbitrary anyhow.

    Julo

    Black_David@emc.com
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    28-02-02 01:13

            To:        rdr@io.iol.unh.edu, ips@ece.cmu.edu
            cc:
            Subject:        RE: iscsi: version number in draft 11

    Folks,

    I've warned in the past that this use of version numbers
    is going to cause problems, as it encourages the longevity
    of obsolete implementations that don't interoperate.  Version
    numbers should NEVER have been used for identification of
    draft versions - in 20/20 hindsight a text key that could
    have been dropped from the final RFC would have been better.

    Prior guidance from the ADs has been that a version number
    change from 0 to 1 in going to RFC would be ok.  Let's
    reset the version number to 0, and anyone still using
    something based on a draft from back when the version number
    was still 0 has something truly ancient and is SOL.

    EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Thu Feb 28 11:18:08 2002
8929 messages in chronological order