    RE: iSCSI: Framing Steps

    While I support a generic direct data placement model,
    the following are additional points for consideration for
    analysis of memory bandwidths and sizes.

    1. A 10G link dropping packets will not do TCP at 10Gbps.
    The rate drops as the packet loss increases. I don't recall
    but Franco or Victor from Nortel had posted an equation once.

    2. The amount of memory needed is of the order of delay-bandwidth
    product and is reasonably independent of the number of connections.
    Of course, statistically, worse situations are possible, but that
    is not a design point. If lots of packets are being lost, things
    are going significantly slower anyway (thus reducing the delay-
    bandwidth product).

    3. The analysis of 10Gbps, half way round the world
    was initially used in this debate. ALthough interesting, the person
    with the scenario above is not going to blink at the cost of
    256MBytes of fastest memory considering what they are paying
    for the link.

    4. All assumptions are based on existing SCSI API models at
    targets. Changes to target APIs/meta-data management would
    let some vendors not have to do data copies anyway.

    5. A solutions that is iSCSI specific is not likely to give
    the savings (especially when it may not work) people expect.

    As I mentioned, I think we should take the same approach as
    we did for error recovery (if it is not spilling the beans
    too much) and come up with a more detailed analysis.

    Somesh

Last updated: Thu Jan 31 10:18:06 2002
8572 messages in chronological order